Date: November 18, 2020
With the rising cases of COVID-19 and increased health regulations, English Tutor Network will temporarily suspend in-person tutoring offerings for new students in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley. In-person lessons will still be available for students in Greater Victoria.
We understand that this may bring inconveniences to some students in the affected areas. For students in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley who are interested to transition back to in-person lessons in the future, please let us know at the time of registration. You will be matched with a tutor who can meet in person when health regulations ease.
Most students find our online tutoring platform, TutoringClassroom, very useful. TutoringClassroom provides tutors and students with a collaborative whiteboard, session recording and PDF notes export.
Thank you for your understanding as we continue to put safety as our priority for our tutors, students and their family.
May 11, 2020
The safety of our students, tutors and their families is our top priority. To limit the spread of COVID-19, all in-person tutoring sessions remains suspended until it is deemed safe to resume in consultation with public health authorities. During this time, only online tutoring will be offered at English Tutor Network. We understand that this will be a challenging time for students. Our tutoring team has made a number of adjustments to help support your child's learning needs as we transition to a home-based learning environment.
Our Response to COVID-19
- New Online Tutoring Platform. In addition to using Skype or Zoom, we have added a new tutoring platform that provides students with a shared whiteboard and session recordings.
- Revised Minimum Charge Policy. In response to a lighter workload from school, we have adjusted our minimum charge policy from 60 minutes to 30 minutes until August 31, 2020.
- Free Consultation. To ensure technical problems do not get in the way of online tutoring, clients are welcome to book a 15-minute consultation appointment to ensure proper equipment setup.
- Exercise packages. English practices does not have to stop with virtual learning. To ensure students still practice English using pen and paper, English Tutor Network would be happy to send relevant exercise materials to your local Staples for contactless curbside pickup following each tutoring session.
- Training Staff for Online Tutoring. All of our tutors are provided instructions on effective ways in carrying out virtual tutoring sessions, including strategies to gauge student's interest and finding out the challenges students have with their schoolwork.
- Mentorship for Students. Social distancing has been especially difficult for youths and teenagers. Our tutors will provide the proper mentorship and advice to help students manage stress and anxiety through this period.
Having tested different video conferencing and tutoring software, we were not able to find a suitable application that provides a comprehensive learning experience without going back and forth between different apps. Therefore, we have built a central web-based tutoring platform, TutoringClassroom, that consolidates a variety of learning tools without the need to install multiple applications. TutoringClassroom offers the following features:
- Optional Session Recordings
- Optional Session Notes Download
- Collaborative Whiteboard for tutors and students to write on the screen at the same time
- Skype, Zoom and Google Meet compatibility for screen sharing
- Taking snapshot of work on paper and automatically upload to a shared virtual whiteboard for discussion and further revision
- Privacy Tutoring Option
- Comprehensive Tutoring Option
Updates will be provided on this page as we adjust to a new temporary normal. We will continue to follow the health and safety regulations as determined by health authorities. When deemed safe to resume in-person tutoring sessions, English Tutor Network will announce a list of measures tutors take to ensure a safe learning environment for our students. We appreciate your understanding through these uncertain times.
"Remember to be kind, be calm, and staying safe!"
- Dr. Bonnie Henry